A Well-Lit Path: A Blog from Westtown School

Snow Lessons: Nine Discoveries for Young Kids

Posted by Kristin Crawford on February 17, 2015

kid_in_snowWhen I was little, it seemed to snow and snow all winter.  I grew up in Maryland but if it was winter there was snow and ice.  Snow to sled on and ice to skate on.  Well, actually sledding was more like careening – as fast as you could, over the large speed bumps and landing with a thud on the frozen pond.  Skating was a process of trying and failing.

What’s to be learned from hours outside in the freezing cold?  Plenty. 

I learned how to push myself harder.  Sure I could lift that heavy snowball to the top of the snowman.  I practiced cooperating – how else could we get so many on the sled and get it going down the hill.  I experienced the thrill of danger and figuring out how to keep myself from getting injured.  I solved problems, such as shoveling the snow off the ice so we could skate.  I developed a love of the natural world and a deep appreciation for the beauty of white snow and cold, blue ice.  And I had pure fun.

When the snow comes, get outside.  Gather up all the snow gear your child needs and give them space to put on all the pieces.  One or two quick lessons about what goes on first, second, etc. help young children at first but then guaranteed they can do it.  

Here’s a checklist of what they might discover in the snowy cold:

1. They are stronger than they thought.
  2. Going fast is a thrill.
  3. Bumps and little pains can be ignored.
  4. Understanding how to take turns is a requirement.
  5. The world of ice and snow is beautiful.
  6. Paying attention to others keeps one safe.
  7. Courage is easier with friends.
  8. There’s always room for one more.
  9. Nothing is better than fun.

Happy winter!

Learn More about Westtown

Topics: Raising Resilient Lower and Middle Schoolers

Kristin Crawford

Written by Kristin Crawford

Kristin Crawford, the Lower School Principal at Westtown School, has over 30 years experience in elementary education. In her 25 plus years of classroom teaching, she led Pre-K to 12th grade curricular review work, empowered children to restore a marsh and woodlands, initiated programs for local nursery school teachers and pushed to add Mandarin in a lower school. A fascination with how children think motivated her to develop a physics lab for young girls and a design lab at Westtown. With a Masters in Independent School Leadership from University of Pennsylvania, she moved into Admissions and then to divisional leadership. Kristin says "By far the favorite part of my job is the children. Children always have their own way of thinking, and we adults don't always get it. They make my laugh, they make me think and they make me want Lower School to be the best school for them. When school is over each day, I want to be outside. Actually, I often want to be outside during the day and have been known to take my phone outside to the sun and air to answer emails."